The Silkworm Academy, predecessor of Zhejiang Sci-Tech University, was established by Hangzhou magistrate Lin Qi to realize his vision to save the nation with industry and education in the year of 1897, and one of the earliest ever new educational institutions in China. In the year of 1908, owing to its outstanding schooling performance, it was upgraded as “Higher Sericulture School” by Qing Government with imperial assent. During the period from Xinhai Revolution to the eve of liberation, because of the unrest domestic situation, the school was repeatedly renamed, transferred here and there, underwent vicissitudes and hardships, but had all along been sticking to its schooling. After the foundation of PRC, the school has been forging ahead, and made its new historic chapter. The school began to enroll undergraduate students in 1959, was renamed as Zhejiang Institute of Silk Textiles by the State Council in 1964, began to enroll master student in 1979, and began to have the right to confer master degree in1983. In the year of 1999, approved by the Ministry of Education, the school was renamed as Zhejiang Institute of Science and Technology. In the year of 2004, approved by the Ministry of Education, the school was renamed as Zhejiang Sci-Tech university (herefrom as ZSTU). In the year of 2006, it began to have the right to confer doctorate degree. In the year of 2010, approved by the Ministry of Education, it began to be qualified to recommend excellent graduates to be candidates of master degree.